Mad About Mad Men

August 8, 2009

I've caught the Mad Men bug. I started watching the AMC show last year and was sufficiently hooked. I am totally appalled by the sleazy and misogynistic world of the early 1960s, yet thoroughly enthralled by the incessant smoking, cheating and disregard for political correctness. And of course, the clothes! The clothes are what make the show authentic, and I love the well-fitted and figure enhancing styles that were popular then. I also appreciate that women back then took the time to care what they looked like. Yes, wearing a dress with heels and pearls while making dinner seems ridiculous to most modern women of the 21st century, but just the idea that they put thought into what they wore is refreshing. Don't get me wrong, though. I am a t-shirt and jeans kind of girl, especially when I am not at the office, but when I have to dress up, I do it with intention and sophistication.

I'm not alone in finding inspiration in this show. It seems the Mad Men look has found its way onto quite a few runways and stores. Michael Kors (one of my favorite designers) had a whole Fall line (in 2008) themed after the show, and now Banana Republic has partnered with the show in creating a line for their store as well as promotional tie-ins for sales and such. In fact, I just picked up a few pieces from Banana Republic this weekend -- an adorable Betty Draper inspired full-skirted dress and a Joan Holloway sultry pencil skirt and clingy top. (All that is missing are the curves!)



In addition, I found some other great looks around the Web. And of course, as Bargain Chic always does, I'll start with my inspirational "Designer Look" and then my bargain find.

Jimmy Choo Patent Platform Pump, Bergdorf Goodman, $750

Bargain Look

Shabby Apple Evita Dress, $114; BB Dakota Grey Lola Dress, chickdowntown.com, $79; Liz Claiborne Cotton Ikat Dress, $49.99


Lake Paid-cid Top, $34.99; Peggy Pencil Skirt, $69.99; both Mod Retro


Edme & Esyllte Hattie V-Neck, Anthropologie, $68; Liz Claiborne Cheetah Print Silk Pencil Skirt, $44.99


fredflare.com Sunset Tie Blouse, $52; Anthropologie Fluttering Pencil Skirt, $158



Luichiny Dahlia Open Toe Pump, $45; Seychelles Yes Ma'Am Mary Jane Pump, $72.11; Naughty Monkey Lopsided Pump, $72.83; all endless.com

P.S. For more great looks, remember to tune in for Season 3 of Mad Men, starting next Sunday, August 16.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Search This Blog

Words to Inspire

"One cannot consent to creep when one has an impulse to soar." ~Helen Keller