Week in Review: Breaking The Glass Ceiling

June 21, 2013

I’ve started watching “Mad Men” seasons in reverse. I finished Season 5 last week and am almost done with Season 4. It’s an odd way to watch a show, but it kind of works for me. It’s interesting to watch Don’s rises and falls – in love, work, and life – and the arc that Peggy, Joan, and Betty have taken over the seasons. In particular, Peggy has probably experienced the most dramatic shift of all the women on the show. For me, she symbolizes the emerging feminists of the 1960s, making her mark in a man’s world. She struggles. A lot. But, she also shows young women of today how far we’ve come and how much farther we must go.  My favorite episode that really shows Peggy’s first attempt to own her successes is in Season 4 -- it's called "The Suitcase." A lot happens in this episode, but one scene in particular stands out for me. It is when she finally expresses her anger towards Don for not giving her the recognition she felt she deserved on an ad campaign. Sure, it was a little immature and ungrateful on her part, and Don had every right to react the way he did, but it was a pivotal moment in the story that eventually lead to Peggy realizing her potential and power.


Alongside my episodic viewing of “Mad Men,” I am also reading Sheryl Sandberg’s Lean In. This book got a lot of press a few months ago – many in the media were calling it a new feminist manifesto, while others were criticizing it as being one-dimensional and unrealistic for average women. Although I’m only a third of the way through it, I have to say, as someone who counts herself as an average women – at least when it comes to my financial position and job skills – I’ve found some good advice I can use in my career and in my life in general. Most of what Sheryl comments on – through personal stories and various studies – is standard fair when it comes to the old “breaking the glass ceiling” mentality. Take risks, don’t be afraid to speak your mind, and don’t let anyone (i.e. men) hold you back. But, there are some really valuable nuggets of wisdom that are, well, obvious, but important reminders nonetheless. Here are some of my favorite quotes so far:

“…in order to continue to grow and challenge myself, I have to believe in my own abilities.”
“Owning one’s success is key to achieving more success.”
“…when you want to change things, you can’t please everyone. If you do please everyone, you aren’t making enough progress.”

And well, there you have it. Peggy and Sheryl. They’ve started me thinking – thinking about how I can better position myself as a leader and as a strong woman. I’ve always consider myself both, but I do see where my gender sometimes gets in my way. So, for this week – a slight departure from my bargain ways, but a symbolic analysis of my and all women’s ability to be chic in strength and determination – I dedicate my little ol' blog to women. The fearless. The unsure. The strong. The weak. The leaders. The mentors. And the protégés. Thank you for being you!

P.S. Also check out Sheryl's Lean In website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Search This Blog

Words to Inspire

"One cannot consent to creep when one has an impulse to soar." ~Helen Keller

Archives