Let's Get Organized!

June 2, 2013


Today was a record day in Phoenix – the first day this year that temperatures have soared well above 100. 108 to be exact. It happens every year at the beginning of June, and when it occurs, it becomes a serious reminder for those new and old to this desert land that you must do everything you can to stay out of this heat. That means, either submerging yourself in the cool waters of a pool, enjoying a two-hour respite in a movie theater, shopping in an air conditioned mall, or staying home with all your blinds shut, fans on full blast, and A/C as comfortably low as your wallet will allow. 

Today, I chose to do the latter. I stayed home and performed tasks that would make Martha Stewart proud. I organized my filing cabinet, shredded documents, cleaned out my medicine cabinet, and read through old cards and letters. Cleaning, organizing, and purging old stuff is always cathartic for me. I actually enjoy going through things, deciding what’s important and what’s not, and chucking things as a way to say “goodbye” to the past and “hello” to the future. 

In my quest to organize a simple filing cabinet, I decided that it was also about time to tackle other organizing quests. I’ve already made an effort to compartmentalize my linen closet. And then there’s my spare room closet, which will eventually become a small craft/writing nook that could potentially house an old (yet functional) typewriter I received from my parents for graduation. There might eventually be efforts to better organize my bedroom closet (which I’ve already done a good job at organizing – especially the shoes) as well as my kitchen cabinets. 

In the meantime, though, I’ll just start organizing what I’d like to organize with the help of some great stores like The Container Store, IKEA, and Target, and products that will feed my need for organization.

 Clockwise: Goldenrod Linen Basket, $29.99-$39.99, The Container Store; Kassett Box, $6.00 /2pk, IKEA; Square Smart Store Tote, $5.99-$8.99, The Container Store; 3-Drawer Desktop Organizer, $12.99, The Container Store; Silver Mesh DVD Bin, $12.99, The Container Store; White Mesh Magazine File, $6.99, The Container Store; Drawer Organizer, $3.99-$7.99, The Container Store

 Clockwise: Double Decker Turntable, $27, Organize.com; Store & Pour Dry Found Dispenser, $8.99-$9.99, The Container Store; Stoneware Canister, $14.99, Target; Kngaren Bottle, $14.99/set of 3, IKEA; Limmaren Bottle, $9.99/set of 3, IKEA; Lilholmen Glass Shelf, $19.99, IKEA; Hair Dryer Organizer, $27.49, Organizer.com; Spice Rack Set, $24, Organizer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Search This Blog

Words to Inspire

"One cannot consent to creep when one has an impulse to soar." ~Helen Keller

Archives