The Art of Words

June 4, 2011

I am a big fan of words. I love reading them, writing them, understanding them, and even looking at them -- especially when it is done in an artistic way. I think my interest in typography can be attributed to my old college roommate. Tobi was a graphic design major, who had an affinity for typography. I remember watching her painstakingly choose a font for her projects -- trying to figure out which one would covey the message she was trying give. She was quite the master at it; and after graduating, that craft and skill became one of her trademarks.

Coupled with my appreciation for the art of typography, I've also always had an eye for symmetry -- almost an obsessiveness with it. I like things straight, parallel to each other, patterns that conform in number (especially three) and a desire to center things. I guess the best way to fully understand my slight OCD behavior is to think Jeff Lewis of Bravo's Flipping Out fame, but dialed down by about 50%.

With my interest in words, typography and symmetry, I think it is pretty safe to say, I overall enjoy the art of language -- whether that be in the simplest form of words on paper or the tools used to craft those words on paper. Here are some great finds -- some vintage and some not -- that I found on Etsy (a fantastic place for finding handcrafted items). They are all perfect examples of why I love how letters, words and meaning combine to creating brilliant art.

(Top to Bottom): 12 vintage metal letters, The Hope Tree, $44; To Be Yourself art print, Bubby and Bean, $20; vintage letterpress number set, Handmade By Alison, $38; magnet: vintage paper handmade flower, LBC paper, $9.95; Always Definition Commitment Ring, Happy Go Licky, $45.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Search This Blog

Words to Inspire

"One cannot consent to creep when one has an impulse to soar." ~Helen Keller

Archives