Emmy Inspirations

August 31, 2010

I'd say the most enjoyable part of award shows is before the event even begins -- the red carpet extravaganza of fashion and beauty. I love seeing all the glitter, glitz and glamor, but what I love even more is being a fashion critic as I thumbs up or thumbs down each gown that passes by the cameras. And at this year's Emmy's, the critic was in full effect.  For the most part, I'd say a majority of the gowns were rather prosaic -- boring and kind of dull. But, in the midst of those ho-hum gowns, I did see a few that had me sitting up and taking notice.

It seems the popular ruffle trend is still going strong, and one gown in particular took that trend to a whole new level of sophistication. Lea Michele of Glee wore a stunning navy blue gown that epitomizes the meaning of gown -- it was extravagant, luxurious and whimsical. Another gown that took my breath away was Modern Family's Sophia Vergara's. The yellow and gold sequins gown was reminiscent of old Hollywood, but with a nicely shaped modern flair. And, finally, there was the sexy and stunning cocktail dress worn by Heidi Klum. I don't think anyone but Heidi Klum could pull that dress off -- that is, unless you have legs up to your ears and a vivacious personality to match.

Since most of us ordinary people will probably never get to wear gowns like these, let alone attend an award show, I thought it would be fun to find outfits inspired by these gowns. I didn't want to just find dresses that were similar, but take the style or trend of the gown and find comparable looks that exude the same essence.

So, with that... here are my Emmy inspirations:

 Lea Michele in Oscar de la Renta. Anthropologie, Ellsworth Blouse, $118; JCrew, Super 120s Durham pant, $135.

Sophia Vergara in Carolina Herrera. Nordstrom, Filtre Matte Sequin Tank, $31.90; Spiegel, Distressed Leather Pencil Skirt, $99.

Heidi Klum in Marchesa. ModCloth, The Dress I've Been Telling You About (currently out of stock), $69.99.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Search This Blog

Words to Inspire

"One cannot consent to creep when one has an impulse to soar." ~Helen Keller