Tomboy Chic

August 3, 2013



As this photo can attest, I was a bit of a tomboy growing up. Although I didn’t mind wearing dresses and could rock a mean jean skirt with rainbow suspenders, I also enjoyed boy-inspired attire – most notably replicating my Dad’s knee-high socks and trucker hat look. That kind of mix and match of masculine and feminine has stayed with me today. And while I may enjoy getting all dolled up in a pretty dress or sophisticated ensemble, I am just as comfortable – if not more so – in a t-shirt and shorts. I don’t wear a lot of makeup or jewelry, and I don’t care about how well my nails are manicured or if I should bother with the latest skincare treatments. I do love though to dazzle people with fancy footwear and stylish duds every now and then.  And for me that combination between tomboy and chic girl is what epitomizes my style.  It isn’t so much an homage to masculine/feminine wear, but a melding of casual and chic, unfussy elegance, and a little rugged individualism with a dash of bourgeois refinement.

It’s pretty easy to replicate this style. Quite a few retail stores offer pieces that play on the masculine/feminine dynamic. Gap, J.Crew, Madewell, and Club Monaco are just a few of them. Basically, it is all about the mixing of casual with elegance and simplicity with a dash of edgy fashionista.  Here’s a sampling of what I would call my Tomboy Chic style…

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Search This Blog

Words to Inspire

"One cannot consent to creep when one has an impulse to soar." ~Helen Keller

Archives